What is the Difference Between Door to Door Car Shipping and Terminal to Terminal Car Shipping?
When it comes to shipping a car, customers have two basic options to choose from when transporting their cars. They can either go with a Door to door car shipping service, or terminal to terminal car transport method. Each of these auto transport services has their own unique pros and cons. Below are some facts to help you decide which service works best for you.
Door to Door Car Shipping Service
What exactly is a door to door car shipping service? When a shipper is arranging to have their car transported and has given the car carrier a residential/home address, the transporter will try and come as close to address as possible to load/unload the car. On some occasions, depending on the truck size, street/neighborhood layout, amount of low hanging trees, the trucker might request for you to meet up the block or in a shopping center, in order to prevent him, from either getting stuck on a side street or from damaging cars that are already loaded on his truck from low hanging trees.
Can I transport my vehicle door to door?
It is possible to transport your vehicle via door to door, but it also depends on the type of truck (carrier) that is delivering the vehicle. In the event that there are low hanging trees, this adds to the risk factor to double-decker trucks that are carrying cars on the top deck. The branches would scratch the vehicle resulting in damage.
Depending on the neighborhood layout, sometimes it is not feasible for a vehicle to be delivered to the actual address. Smaller streets prevent drivers from being able to turn around and unload vehicles. On shorter routes, smaller trailers have an easier time getting into tight spots. On these specific routes, the trailer will not hold the usual nine cars on it, but a lesser amount.
What Are the Advantages of a Door to Door Car Transport Service?
- The car carrier/truck will pick up or deliver the car as close to the address you have provided.
- You are able to have the car loaded or unloaded without having to ask someone for help to meet to the car carrier.
- The car will be loaded or unloaded once, and the customer will be able to inspect the condition of vehicle directly with the car transporter who will be in possession of the car during the entire time it’s being transported.
What Are the Disadvantages of a Door to Door Car Shipping Service?
- When choosing to transport your car via a door to door car shipping service, it requires someone to be available to give keys and car to the driver. That might become difficult for someone who has a busy work schedule and can’t wait at home, or the office for the carrier. Without having someone to meet the carrier, the owner of the vehicle wont be able to do a proper inspection of the vehicle prior to loading the car.
- If the address provided for loading or unloading is far from a highway or major city, and is not such a common place for carriers to pickup or delivery many vehicles, the cost to ship a car might be a bit higher. The car carrier will have to spend more time / gas to go off his route, in order to just pick up or deliver the car.
Terminal to Terminal Car Transport Service
What is a terminal to terminal car transport service? When a car is shipped from one terminal (parking lot) to another terminal lot. A customer will drive and drop their car off at a terminal and pick up their car up from another terminal. A car carrier/trucker will load his entire truck at one terminal and unloads the entire load at another terminal.
What Are the Advantages of a Terminal to Terminal Car Shipping Service?
- If a customer has a busy schedule, and can’t find the time to meet the car transport carrier, it might be more convenient for the customer to drop the car off at a terminal.
- The rate to ship a car via terminal to terminal, would be a bit cheaper than a door to door service, because its much easier for a car carrier to be able to load and unload his entire tuck in one place.
What Are the Disadvantages of a Terminal to Terminal Car Shipping Service?
- The location of the terminal might be far from the customer, and would force the customer to figure out how to get home once it has been dropped off at that terminal. Same problem exists at the destination, the terminal might not be close by to where the customer resides, forcing the customer to find a way to get to the location of the terminal.
- If the owner of the vehicle gets delayed, and isn’t able to pickup the vehicle in a timely matter, the terminal might start charging the customer storage fees if it’s not picked up by a certain date.
- When a car is being shipped via terminal to terminal, the vehicle passes through a few different parties by the time it reaches its destination. The car might be moved around the terminal a couple times before a car carrier comes to load it, same on delivery. If the car happens to get damaged, its hard to pin point exactly who or when it occurred. Making it very difficult to figure out who’s responsible for it.
If you have any question about Door to Door car shipping or Terminal to Terminal auto transport service, please feel free to contact us at 855-422-4141. If you are interested in a free car shipping quote, then fill out the form on this site. Check out our many 5-Star Transport and Google reviews and see why we are one of the best car shipping companies around.