What is the Difference Between Door to Door Car Shipping and Terminal to Terminal Car Shipping?
When it comes to shipping a car, customers have two basic options to choose from when transporting their cars. They can either go with a door to door car shipping service or terminal to terminal car transport method. Each of these auto transport services has its own unique pros and cons. Below are some facts to help you decide which service works best for you.
Door to Door Car Shipping Service
What exactly is a door to door car shipping service? When a shipper is arranging to have, their car transported and has given the car carrier a residential/home address, the transporter will try and come as close to the address as possible to load/unload the car. On some occasions, depending on the truck size, street/neighborhood layout, amount of low hanging trees, the trucker might request for you to meet up the block or in a shopping center to prevent him from either getting stuck on a side street or from damaging cars that are already loaded on his truck from low hanging trees.
Can I transport my vehicle door to door?
It is possible to transport your vehicle via door to door, but it also depends on the type of truck (carrier) delivering the vehicle. If there are low hanging trees, this adds to the risk factor to double-decker trucks carrying cars on the top deck. The branches would scratch the vehicle resulting in damage.
Depending on the neighborhood layout, sometimes it is not feasible for a vehicle to be delivered to the actual address. Smaller streets prevent drivers from being able to turn around and unload vehicles. On shorter routes, smaller trailers have an easier time getting into tight spots. The trailer will not hold the usual nine cars on these specific routes, but a lesser amount.
What Are the Advantages of a Door to Door Car Transport Service?
- The car carrier/truck will pick up or deliver the car close to the address you have provided.
- You can have the car loaded or unloaded without having to ask someone for help to meet the car carrier.
- The car will be loaded or unloaded once. The customer will then be able to inspect the vehicle’s condition directly with the car transporter, who will own the car during the entire time it’s being transported.
What Are the Disadvantages of a Door to Door Car Shipping Service?
- When choosing to transport your car via a door to door car shipping service, it requires someone to be available to give keys and car to the driver. That might become difficult for someone who has a busy work schedule and can’t wait at home or the carrier’s office. Without someone to meet the carrier, the vehicle owner won’t inspect the vehicle before loading it properly.
- If the address provided for loading or unloading is far from a highway or major city and is not such commonplace for carriers to pickup or delivery many vehicles, the cost to ship a car might be a bit higher. The car carrier will have to spend more time/gas to go off his route to pick up or deliver the car.
Terminal to Terminal Car Transport Service
What is a terminal to terminal car transport service? When a car is shipped from one terminal (parking lot) to another terminal lot. A customer will drive and drop their car off at a terminal and pick up their car from another terminal. A car carrier/trucker will load his entire truck at one terminal and unloads the entire load at another terminal.
What Are the Advantages of a Terminal to Terminal Car Shipping Service?
- If a customer has a busy schedule and can’t find the time to meet the auto transport carrier, it might be more convenient for the customer to drop the car off at a terminal, especially with the Covid pandemic.
- The rate to ship a car via a terminal to terminal would be a bit cheaper than a door-to-door service because it’s much easier for a car carrier to load and unload his entire tuck in one place.
What Are the Disadvantages of a Terminal to Terminal Car Shipping Service?
- The terminal location might be far from the customer and would force the customer to figure out how to get home once it has been dropped off at that terminal. The same problem exists at the destination; the terminal might not be close by to where the customer resides, forcing the customer to find a way to get to the terminal location.
- If the vehicle owner gets delayed and isn’t able to pick up the vehicle in a timely matter, the terminal might start charging the customer storage fees if it’s not picked up by a certain date.
- When a car is being shipped via a terminal to terminal, the vehicle passes through a few different parties by the time it reaches its destination. The car might be moved around the terminal a couple of times before a car carrier comes to load it, same on delivery. If the car happens to get damaged, it’s hard to pin point exactly who or when it occurred. Making it very difficult to figure out who’s responsible for it.
If you have any questions about Door to Door car shipping or Terminal to Terminal auto transport service, please feel free to contact us at 855-422-4141. If you are interested in a free car shipping quote, fill out the form. Check out our many 5-Star Transport and Google reviews and see why we are one of the best car shipping companies around.